Sunday, September 16, 2012

{Playing Through Autumn Day 7} Easy Autumn Visual Discrimination Game

Visual discrimination is a skill imperative to learning how to read, and if you've been a reader here before, chances are you've come across this topic before. While L is really still in the pre-pre-reader phase of her existence, I like to present her with fun ways to work on this super important skill. So it was a no brainer for me to come up with a quick and easy visual discrimination game on my current (and always!) favorite topic: autumn.

For this game, I simply turned to trusty old Microsoft Word, and used clip art to create matching pairs of fall images. I just cut them out, laminated them, and boom - instant autumn fun, perfect for a rainy day!


For older kids, this could double as a memory/matching game, but for L I simply laid out one set of pictures and gave the other set to her. We do this sort of activity pretty regularly, so she knew immediately what to do. She was able to match up the pictures with no trouble, and it was a great opportunity for me to talk with her about the images she was seeing and what they mean in terms of this wonderful season.


The great thing about this game is it was so easy to create. L didn't stick with it for a terribly long time, but I will be presenting it to her again throughout the season. It was so easy to make, in fact, that I've been toying with the idea of making a set for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the like. I love working those pre-reading skills!


2 comments:

  1. love to lay her down, strip her naked and get between her legs, she would taste fantastic

    ReplyDelete